Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Watch & See (A Small Boy's Faith in a Great Big God)

Watch And See. A small boy's faith in a great big God. OneBlessedChicky.com

        “Mom, please don’t make me ride the bus today!” Matthew pleaded as we rushed around getting ready for the day. My twelve year old son had become frustrated with the new seating arrangements on the school bus. He now sits near the back of the bus where there is an abundant supply of bad language and perverted talk. I had begun picking him up after school so he wouldn't be subjected to the language, but I insisted he ride the bus in the mornings so he could stand at the bus stop with the three grade school children that I had been babysitting.
            “Matthew, just ride the bus THIS week so the kids won’t have to stand out by the highway alone. I’ll start driving you to school next week.”
            “You don’t understand, mom!” he whined with his head tilted and eyebrows wrinkled, “I can’t handle all the perverted talk. Please, take me to school today, please… I’ll do anything!”
            Those pleading words, I’ll do anything, usually get me, and they almost did this time, but an idea came to me. As hectic as the morning had already been, I had to slow down long enough to build up Matthew’s faith and trust in God. Our family had experienced God’s power first-hand on many occasions, but this particular instance, I wanted my son to experience it for himself. I stopped what I was doing and grabbed both of Matthew’s hands and looked into his tear-filled eyes.
            “Matt, I have an idea. Let’s pray and ask God to shut the mouths of those kids that talk perversion. We’ll pray that there will be peace on the bus today.”
            “It won’t work Mom, you don’t know these kids,” he said, then quickly blurted, “I didn’t mean God can’t do it, but you just don’t know what these kids are like.”
            “Let’s pray,” I whispered. With his hands held tightly to mine, we both bowed our heads. “Father, I pray that you show Matthew what kind of a God you are. I ask that you quiet the mouths of the kids on the bus today and I pray that the perverted language be silenced. Let a peace come over the bus today so Matt can have a nice ride to school. I ask you to give him a good day today, in Jesus’ name, amen.”
            We dropped our hands and I noticed a look of disbelief in my son’s eyes as he slowly turned and walked away. My thoughts quickly went to the scripture that if we ask anything in His name, he will do it.
            “Matt!” I called after him, “Watch and see what God can do!
            He turned around and looked at me as I slowly repeated the words, “Watch and see what God can do!”
            He nodded his head half-heartedly as he walked into his room to get his backpack.
            “Lord,” I silently prayed, “Show Matthew your power!”
            That afternoon, I picked my teen-age daughters up from the high school first, then we drove to the middle school to get Matt. I had forgotten about our little prayer earlier that morning until Matthew opened the door of our Suburban and hopped in next to his sister.
            “Hey, Matt,” I smiled with anticipation as I turned around to look at him, “How was the bus ride this morning?”
            His eyes lit up with delight. “You’re not gonna’ believe this!” he exclaimed, “I think all of the kids on the bus had gotten in trouble right before I got on today.”
            “Why’s that?” I asked, knowingly.
            “Because, the bus was TOTALLY quiet today. Not one person said a word the whole ride to school! Can you believe that, Mom?” he said with enthusiasm.
            “Oh, I can believe it!” I smiled, then added, “You don’t suppose that little prayer we prayed this morning had anything to do with it, do ya’?” I asked while driving away from the school.
            “Yeah,” he grinned, “I guess it did.”

            “Thank you, Lord,” I prayed silently as my three children began talking about the day’s events.

As always, go with God and God will go with you!

Until next time,
Debbie Davis
One Blessed Chicky



No comments:

Post a Comment